With their fluffy, soft, and visually engaging texture, shag rugs make beautiful additions to any home. Because of their design, shag rugs can be difficult to clean. However, they’re still susceptible to acquiring damage and debris from ample foot traffic. Maintaining a shag rug can be challenging at first, but as long as you’re mindful, you can keep your shag rug in quality condition for years. At Nube Décor, we know how important it is to keep your luxurious shag area rugs in good shape. Below, we share our helpful tips for cleaning and caring for a shag rug.
What You’ll Need
For proper shag rug cleaning, you’ll need your run-of-the-mill cleaning supplies. We’ve created a list of materials that’ll help you restore your rug:
- White vinegar
- Broom or rug beater
- Vacuum and its attachments for upholstery
- Microfiber cloths
- Dry rug shampoo
Most homeowners can combat a dirty rug themselves. Before you start going to town on your home’s shag area rugs, be sure to check the manufacturing label for any cleaning recommendations.
How To Clean Your Shag Rug
Let’s explore a few options for restoring your shag rug’s condition.
- Vacuum: Vacuuming is everyone’s go-to for cleaning rugs, and for a good reason. Quality vacuums pull up dirt and debris that might not be visible to the naked eye. For shag rugs, you should always use the upholstery attachments to avoid damaging the rug’s fibers.
- Dry Bath: Dry baths are simple. You simply sprinkle dry rug shampoo on your rug, let it sit, then vacuum it up.
- Shake or Beat: Take your rug outside and shake it, preferably over a porch railing or some chairs, so it doesn’t pile underneath you or drag on the ground. Using a rug beater or broom, whack your rug all over. Beating it will loosen hard-to-reach dirt.
- Give It Some Sun: The sun is an efficient deodorizer, and it’s free! Rest your rug in the sun to kill harmful bacteria. Be careful to keep its time in the sun brief, as too much ray exposure can cause colors to fade.
Clearly, you can achieve a freshly cleaned rug in many ways. It’s best to vary between methods to achieve a more wholesome clean.
Regular Maintenance for Shag Rugs
One of the most helpful tips for cleaning and caring for a shag rug is to do so with frequency. Try to vacuum once or twice a week, and more often if your rug experiences ample foot traffic. You should always vacuum by hand to get a deeper clean.
Nube Décor specializes in affordable and lavish home décor goods, giving homeowners the option of creating a luxury home without breaking the bank. Some of our most popular selections are from our collection of colorful and comfortable shag area rugs for living rooms. Peruse our expansive inventory today to see how you can enhance any room in the house.